The Clarkson’s house in Hall County, GA sits on a high bluff overlooking Lake Lanier. The lake side of the lot is steep, the front approach to the house is level. It is a two-story, contemporary style house, probably built in the 1980s. Additions have been made to it over time. The husband’s passion for outdoor cooking led them to seek change.
When we first met them, he had six different types of grills and smokers. All of them were in the front yard of their lovely lake home, making the entrance look like a barbecue joint and not very inviting.
- The client was hesitant about adding an outdoor kitchen to the front of the house; however, the only other location was on the lower patio by the pool. Since their kitchen is upstairs, putting the outdoor kitchen down a flight of stairs made no sense.
- The client did not want to obstruct the view of the lake from the front of the house. Who would?
- The wife loves herb and vegetable gardening, so creating a space for that would be a plus.
- She also wanted a transition from the front of the house to the steps which led to the patio and the pool on the lake side of the house.
- The main roof-line slanted towards the front of the house, which caused everything in the front to stay wet. So, we had to make sure everything drained properly going forward.
- As designers, we needed to consider plantings, drainage, and the integrity of the house. Given its wood siding, plants should not be right up against the foundation. Also, minimizing planting helped highlight the contemporary lines of the house. Removing overgrown shrubs was essential to improving airflow as well.
The photo essay presents the “before” situation and the “after” solution.
The Clarkson project integrated garden planning, stone design and masonry, drainage solutions, architectural considerations, air flow, cooking and foot traffic. The resulting outdoor cooking space, patio and pathway not only serve the residents but compliment the design of the house.
Thanks for following along on this journey from before to after. It is our pleasure to work on multifaceted projects such as this. We enjoy learning about our clients, and we enjoy the challenge of working through and creating visions that fit their lives. Call us if we can take you from “before” to “after”.